Thursday, January 14, 2010

Only the first

Yesterday morning I had my first sewing lesson. When I entered my friend's home, the delicious smell and the warmth welcomed me in out of the brutal cold. I had flashbacks to walking into my Aunt Minnie's farmhouse kitchen as a child to the wonderful aromas of her cooking and the heat from her old wood cookstove. My friend had just taken a cinnamon coffeecake from the oven and the smell was incredible.

We chatted a while and inspected the various remnants that I had brought before getting down to work. Her instructions were clear, concise and easy to follow. Once I had cut out all the pieces, she suggested we take a break and have our coffee and cake. We did so in the coziness of her sewing room by the little wood stove while she told me a story about J as a boy. We laughed a lot.

She taught me how to use the machine and how to place each piece and how to line them up with the right notch on the foot as I stitch them together. As we worked, she included many little hints and shortcuts that made the job run smoothly and quickly. It seemed so easy; before I knew it, I had a beautiful apron. Needless to say, I felt quite proud of my accomplishment.



My friend is a good teacher and a lot of fun to be around. She graciously showed me the rugs that she braided and the quilts she had made and I felt humbled by her talent and the craftsmanship that went into each piece. She encouraged me to keep up the good work and to come back for more projects and I know I will; although I left with the confidence that I will be able to make another apron all on my own.

4 comments:

  1. I love the apron. It's amazing how different they can look by just changing the fabric. I miss all the handwork things that I used to do, but I know I'll have time in the future. I have made a couple of these adorable little "tomato" and/or "peach" baby hats. I love the pattern. I can find time to do these when we go antiquing or off for other reasons in the car. I have no account at the moment so Becky will have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becky, as soon as I saw this fabric here in the sewing room, I knew what I wanted to do with it. I love it! going to make another one for my daughter. Having something to do that you love is very important. Hope to do alot of new things this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm absolutely loving your blogs. I may be "biased" but still love to read all that you write. Very interesting and worthy of everyone's praise. Loved what Jon wrote, too. And the picture is so wonderful. She is a true doll. Your sis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your wonderful comments, I started woodburning about a year ago. I've drawn and painted my whole life but thought I'd try something new so I took up woodburning and I LOVE it.I'm glad I could be of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete