Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dementia deterrent?

 Another little snippet from Parade Magazine, by Dr. Ranit Mishori, "Exercise Your Brain Online," Jan. 10, 2010. (I promise, this is not the only thing I read; although it is the first thing I read from the Sunday paper.)  It seems a new study (authors unnamed) shows that surfing the internet may be a good exercise for the brain, "in older adults," and "may even delay the onset of dementia."

Well, if that is true, how much more so would be blogging. Thinking of what to say and how to say it is definitely exercise for the brain. Plus, once you have written your own post, you'll more than likely surf through the "Next Blog" button to read others' blogs or will check out those that you regularly follow. That's a double whammy of exercise. So if an almost-64-year-old was looking for a reason to keep writing, I'd say that is a pretty good one. Especially since my mother's mind slipped into dementia in her last decade or more of life. It is a frightening prospect, I'll admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment