Sunday, January 15, 2012

My 2011 summer visit to the heartland.

2011 was a special year for me because thanks to my son and daughter-in-law I was able to fly out to the heartland to visit and see them for the first time since 2008 when they came here to Maine.  It was a fun trip and I was astonished at how my grandchildren had grown.


This is my youngest, C, 6 years old and super, super smart. Very pretty in her T-ball uniform. Watching her play was so much fun. Especially when she was playing catcher and covering her mouth to hide a laugh every time an opposing little player missed the ball.

We had a very, very hot, but fun day at the zoo where I took this shot of A, C's big sister, 15.


Hope you can see the beautiful peacock in full display in the background. We always have an enjoyable time here. Wish I'd had my camera going in the gorilla display where A was sitting on a ledge next to the viewing window and the big silver back male came charging holding a big plastic barrel he plays with and banging it against the window just trying to scare us. Thought A was going to jump out of her skin. Well, to be honest, we all did. It was so sudden and unexpected. He really got us.

This next one is one of my favorites, of C at the Golden Corral. I love that place! Wish we had one up here in Maine.

So pretty.


We were also eating supper at a GC one night on our way to one of my grandson's Little League games when the tornado warning siren went off and we looked out the window and saw a huge black cloud headed right for us. We jumped in the car and started driving south as the storm was going east. We just kept driving south until we were out of range and then headed back west towards home where the storm had just come through, not knowing if we would have a home to go back to. The storm was headed right for where we were supposed to go to the game. All turned out okay and they still had a home. No real damage was done. It seems no funnel cloud actually hit the ground on this one, but it sure looked like a possibility at the time. I was definitely very nervous, needless to say.



My son, Jon, with B and C, at the zoo. They are watching a tiny miniature goat who was running around free and then just walked into this cage right between the bars. So cute.



I shocked my son when he asked me if I would like to go for a ride. I just said, "Do you have an extra helmet?" He knew I was less than happy when he told me a couple years ago that he had gotten a bike because my brother, Jon, had died in a motorcycle accident in 2001. So his namesake was fully expecting that I would say, "No way!" Surprise! We had a great day out on the bike. He enjoyed showing me the sights this way; we went into the Old Town for lunch and had a beautiful ride through the park. 

It was a lovely two weeks with my beautiful family. Really hoping they make it to Maine in 2012.




1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to spend time with your family. I am blessed to have my children and grandkids close and I know I would miss them (as you must miss yours) if they were further away.
    My son also rides a motor bike occasionally, but I am not brave enough to go on it with him. The cornering worries me.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete