Sunday, May 9, 2010

Spring work

My goodness, I can't believe it has been so long since I posted. Time really flies when you are busy. Our peas are up about 3-4" and the swiss chard and lettuce are up. The radishes never came, so I bought new seeds and replanted. Have to wait and see. Have put in a couple rows of spinach as well. Today we spent all morning building a compost bin and starting the pile. I started with the turf that came off the garden area, putting the clumps in upside down, then a layer of grass and weeds, then food scraps (peelings, eggshells, coffee grounds, etc.), then another layer of turf, composted manure, a thin layer of wood chips, and loam. I raked up a pile of old leaf mold from just inside the woods behind the back yard and am letting it dry out (as it rained yesterday) before adding it to the pile. This is going to be a lot of work, but it will be good work and good for me.

Everything is so green and lush already. If it had not been so cold today, one would think it was summer. The lilacs are in full bloom. We have enjoyed one bouquet already; now it is time to cut another. J brought home a bunch of asparagus for me today from a house down the road. Happily he doesn't like it, so I could eat the whole bunch myself and I did. I can't believe how much better it tasted than what you buy at the grocery store. Delicious. last year I started an asparagus bed at the farm, but have to wait another year before harvesting it. Last week I weeded and remulched with composted manure and a thick layer of hay, and stalks are already shooting up through it all almost a foot. Really looking forward to next spring and being able to eat my own fresh asparagus.

Happy Mothers' Day ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment